Beyond the classroom
Recognising that there is more to a well-rounded education than simply what goes on in the classroom, we run some exciting cross-Trust initiatives to help students develop crucial life skills.
Pupils and students are experts on many aspects of school life, and their insights and suggestions are vital for senior leaders to make well-informed judgements about how to develop their school.
The Anthem Student Leadership Team has been established to do exactly that – enable a group of students, hand-picked by their peers, to make a meaningful contribution to our schools’ strategic development and hone their own leadership skills along the way.
This year, the 10-strong collaborative working group of students from Anthem’s secondary schools will be looking at issues of mental health and wellbeing across the Trust, investigate and share best practice in this area and make recommendations to inform our thinking.
Now in its second year, Speak Up! is an annual public speaking and debating competition for Anthem students in Years 7 to 13. It is designed to support and promote oracy in our schools and help students develop:
- A clear, concise, confident speaking voice that will help them to be successful in many jobs, beyond just the interview, and in their personal life
- Effective communication, which requires careful listening as well as clear speaking
- Critical thinking
- Interest and expertise in specific fields
- Self-awareness and conviction; knowing their mind (and being willing to change it)
- Self-discipline and organisation
- Enhanced academic progress
In the summer term, teams from each of our five secondary schools come together for a grand cross-Trust event in Oxford, to see who will be crowned Speak Up! champions for that academic year.
You can see this year’s champions at #SpeakUpFinals19